In different private information, I hit a milestone earlier this week: July 26 marked precisely 10 years since I arrived my first puzzle acceptance. It was for a puzzle assortment known as Twenty Underneath Thirty, edited by American Values Membership crossword writer and pal of the present Ben Tausig. I nonetheless cannot consider it has been so lengthy since that first “sure”, however after spending the earlier three and a half years receiving nothing however rejection, I keep in mind it was one of many greatest thrills of my younger life as a puzzle.
It is a zoo on the market! OR in there, to be actual. On this puzzle, seven well-known folks have “adopted” completely different animals by inserting them of their names, creating whimsical phrases. Every reply to the subject has two clues, which let you know first about adopting the animals after which what the ensuing odd sentence is.
- 23A: [Washington Post journalist adopting a serpent / Singer Dylan courts a hospital section full of nude people?]. BOB WOODWARD adopts a SNAKE to provide BOB WOOS. NUDEDEPARTMENT D.
- 33A: [“The Tyger” poet adopting a farm bird / Declaration about being actress Lively while sick?]. WILLIAM BLAKE adopts a HEN to provide wH.IT I AM BLAKE.
- 49A: [“Hello, Dolly!” actress adopting a large deer / Ruler of the Christmas song TV network?]. CAROL CHANNING adopts a ELK to provide CAROL CHANNAndLKING.
- 66A: [Blues legend adopting a big cat / Seas full of mischievous aliens?]. ETHEL WATERS adopts a LION to make ET HELLION WATERS.
- 84A: [Former SNL actor adopting an amphibian / Headline about how politico Buttigieg plans on adopting an enthusiastic boy?]. PETE DAVIDSON adopts a TOAD to be made PETE T.Or ADDAVIDO SON.
- 99A: [“A Beautiful World” painter adopting a large bird / Those who inspire a family matriarch named after one of the Stooges?]. GRANDMA MOSES adopts an EMU to be realized GRANDMA MOAnd MUSES.
- 115A: [“The Fugitive” co-star adopting a rodent / Command to designer Hilfiger to ogle cinematic archaeologist Indiana?]. TOMMY LEE JONES adopts a RAT to make TOMMY LEER. TO JONES.
I did not need to use a totally random set of animals, so there’s a word above the puzzle that claims, “The primary letters of the adopted animals on this puzzle make up an acceptable seven letter phrase.” The primary letters of the animals (S.NAKED, H.IT, AndLK, LION, T.OAD, AndMU, R.AT) specify SHELTERthe place celebrities have in all probability adopted their new pets.
Including letters or phrases to acquainted phrases is actual crossword territory, however I all the time neglect how tough it’s to seek out workable solutions when including the phrase forces you to re-analyze your complete sentence into one thing fully completely different. For instance, a pun like JACKRABBIT NICHOLSON is a reasonably straightforward addition of RABBIT to JACK NICHOLSON, but it surely would not change the which means of the unique sentence a lot. The animals on this puzzle flip celeb names into completely weird phrases that you’re unlikely to ever write or say aloud throughout a dialog. However then, if my cat it is a sign, animals are unfamiliar beings that make our life extra joyful just by being round them.
Another solutions and clues:
- 30A: [Home of the hawks] is AIRPLANE. A gaggle of birds that haven’t been adopted by a celeb right this moment.
- 39A: [Boars, bulls, etc.] is MALE. Just a few extra stray animals.
- 46A: [Dalmatians at stations, perhaps] is FIRE. Wait, there actually is a zoo in right here. So many animals that did not create wacky phrases however ended up within the puzzle anyway.
- 56A: [Big farm creatures] is oxen and adjoining to it in 57A: [Small farm creature] is ANT. Extra creatures within the grid, giant and small.
- 60A: [Steel appendage for Doctor Octopus] is TENTACLE. Okay, to be sincere, this was yet one more animal that I did not even keep in mind together with till now. I solely considered Physician Octopus as a result of I used to be a Spider-Man fan after I was youthful, not as a result of I used to be making an attempt to suit one other animal into the clues.
- 125A: [Grooms like a peacock] is PREENS. I believe what this puzzle is exhibiting me is that I write extra animal-related clues than I understand.
- 4D: [Toyed with, like a kitten would] is CRAZY. Nicely, I simply talked about my cat above, so why not put a kitten within the combine?
- 12D: [Eel in a sushi roll] is UNAGI. This fish is safely positioned away from the octopus.
- 107D: [Hammerhead’s habitat] is OCEAN. This shark is lurking close to the underside, however maybe it’s searching eel or octopus.